Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Fiesta conundrum

I've been considering Fiestaware for a few years now. My plain white dishes are plain, white, and chronically chipping. By contrast, Fiestaware appeals to me with its boldness and durability. Unlike safe white dishes, it makes a statement. Did you know it's made in West Virginia, and that this year is its 75th birthday?

My problem was always deciding which colors to put together. Macy's, for example, currently offers 15 different colors. Not to mention, there are 4-piece and 5-piece place settings, round and square dishes, and tons of serving pieces. It's positively overwhelming.

Do I choose 3 or 4 or more?

Do I go with cool jewel tones, fresh fruit colors, earth tones, or a modern combination of neutrals and trendy colors?

The answer came in the form of display window in a kitchen boutique at the Greenbrier hotel (also in West Virginia, incidentally.)

Here is the combination of Fiestaware colors they had on display:



And the fact that I discovered this two weeks before Christmas? Pure serendipity!

I think the key is to choose one neutral to anchor the group, then choose colors that go with the neutral individually...



...but can also be paired up nicely without the neutral.



My colors are called Shamrock, Peacock, Chocolate, and Sunflower.



Fiesta!

No comments:

Post a Comment