Saturday, January 18, 2014

Reflecting on cloth diapering

I used disposable diapers with my first two kids, and never gave it much thought. As my babies got older and I got plugged in with moms' groups, I started to hear about cloth diapering ("Oh, is that still a thing? Really?") and I met several moms who loved it and who were gold mines of information. So I bought a "lot" of gently used cloth diapers from a friend who had gone back to school and didn't have time for the laundry anymore, and I was on my way. Buying a big pile of assorted used diapers was really ideal, because my initial investment was small ($90), and I had a nice sample of styles and brands. Here is some stuff I've learned, organized into 2 lists.

10 things I hate about cloth diapering: 


1. Dogs eat baby poop. Did you know that? It's a delicacy. This guy, in particular, will move mountains to get it.














Since cloth diapers have to be stored somewhere until they can be laundered, that sometimes leaves open a window of opportunity. If I was not very careful about where I stored the diaper pail, he would get into it, drag the diapers out, and lick them clean. I'm sorry, but if you're researching cloth diapering, I think you deserve full disclosure.

 2. The hook-and-loop (aka Velcro) closures would stop sticking over time. Then it was easy for big baby to get her diaper off if there wasn't a snug-fitting onesie over it. If I just put pjs over it, she would still open the tabs, and the diaper would droop down into her pant leg. There is something about the sound and feel of velcro that babies love.

 3. The diapers don't always smell fresh out of the wash. There are "stripping" techniques one can try, but sometimes the odor persists.

 4. Not all dads like it. Some smell-sensitive dads get a little freaked out with the whole thing, which brings me to my next item:

 5. The smell of a diaper pail can be prohibitive of storing it indoors between washings. I used to store ours outside which was problematic for a few reasons: the dog might be able to get it; and, in hot weather, it was a terrible scenario. Imagine a overheated, bug-infested miasma.

 6. It's a little bit of a pain to travel with cloth diapers because you'll likely have to wash them when you're away from home, which may or may not trouble you, but I just packed disposables for trips.

 7. Any child-care situation outside of home was not ideal for cloth diapering. I would just take disposables in the diaper bag for the church nursery, never knowing whether the workers would be comfortable dealing with cloth.

 8. There are so. many. varieties. It's truly mind-boggling. The upside to this is obvious, but the downside is that it makes it a little stressful to choose where you're going to sink your investment, and it also makes diaper-buying a little addicting, because there are so many new brands/styles/patterns to try. Some cloth diapers are really irresistibly cute:














I mean, have you ever? This is a Romparooz cover. Who can resist?




9. Huge diaper booty: Baby clothes are not made for the proportions cloth diapers create. Jeans over cloth diapers are nearly impossible unless you go up a size, at least. In general, my babies wore a size larger in cloth diapers than they did in disposables.  Not a problem as long as you inform clothes-buying relatives of the size differential.

10. Laundry. The endless chore becomes even more endless (I know that makes no sense).

10 things I love about cloth diapering: 


1. Cloth diapers are cute. See #8 above.

2. There are tons of varieties, which is overwhelming, but nice in many ways, too. If something doesn't work or fit right, there are other options. The price range is quite wide, which is also nice. There's something for every budget! And, it is fairly easy to find buyers for gently-used diapers if they don't work out for you.

3. Actually, that last part of #2 gets its own spot on the list. You can resell cloth diapers, recuperating costs which you can add to the dollars you save by not buying disposables!

4. I always felt a sense of accomplishment when I had a basket full of freshly washed diapers.

5. Some of the accessories are great. I loved the flushable diaper liners, which, when I remembered to use them, made clean-up so much less icky.

6. Cloth diapers provide excellent padding for falls, assuming baby falls on his bottom and not his face. 

7. Then there's the cloth diapering community. To be sure, there are true believers out there, folks that seem to posses a real sense of superiority for  their planet-saving choices. These moms and dads come across as especially overzealous online, I think, but in real life I enjoy the camaraderie I feel when I meet a mom who is cloth diapering like me, especially when she has a realistic and humorous and not-too-serious attitude about it.

8. Not putting piles and piles of disposable diapers in the trash just feels good. It feels like the right thing to do.

9. Having to wash diapers is a great motivator for getting my kids potty trained, the earlier the better.

10. What have I left out? Oh of course, the "Target factor." I no longer go to Target just because I need diapers and then come out having spent $100. That alone has probably save me hundreds' worth of things I didn't really need.

Here's a list of cloth diapering products I have used and would recommend.
Smartipants (a little cheaper than some similar pocket diapers)
BumGenius (my only issue is the failing hook-and-loop closures mentioned above, but they are available with snaps)
Fuzzi Bunz (I once read a blog where someone referred to these as the "Cadillac" of cloth diapers, and I have to agree. They are very nice, but not cheap. They are very durable, and would last through two or more babies.)
Real Nappies (basic, inexpensive, white diaper covers; I used them with OsoCozy unbleached cotton diapers. I loved this combination, but the leg openings are somewhat low-cut. Some people might have issues with the covers squeezing baby's chubby thighs.)
I have been all over the place with detergents, but I think my favorite is Nellie's.
I have also used liners; both Bumkins and Kushies are good. I think I prefer Kushies because they are stiffer, but some people prefer the softer ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment